Wednesday, August 15, 2012

The problem with stalling

Everyone calls it procrastinating, which doesn't seem like the right term somehow. Maybe this is just me, but I have it in my head that procrastinating is a result of doing other things rather than something else that needs done, whereas stalling is doing things to avoid doing something that needs done.


A fine distinction, maybe, but one I mentally make nonetheless.

As you may have guessed, I am currently avidly engaged in the latter.

My bedroom is in worse shambles than it usually is, and rather than clear away enough random crap that I can sleep on my couch (there's not enough floor space for the bed [my bed unrolls from the couch. Yes, it's awesome.]), I'm writing this blog post, which probably won't even get posted until I get up tomorrow morning. Yay for time limitations on my internet, because that's mysteriously necessary -.-

Anyway! I was thinking about how this heinous, overwhelming mess is completely my fault, and how I don't know what to do with it, and while trying to think of some legitimate way to not be cleaning it up, I got to think about stalling and accountability and such.

Also, I think there might be something wrong with making parenthetical statements within a parenthetical statement, but that's neither here nor there.

But have you noticed how often we dig our own graves? This doesn't really qualify as grave, I suppose, but it's at least a very deep hole that is inconveniently difficult to get out of. Because once mess begins, it's hard to fix.

I believe that's the underlying principle to "Kipple." In Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep, they repeatedly talk about kipple taking over the world, which is essentially just random crap. It's a force akin to entropy, but more lethargic and pointless. At least as I remember it. It's been at least a year since I read that book.

But all this random crap that I'm trying to sort through and throw away has gotten me thinking about how much junk I hold on to for absolutely no reason. Maybe other people don't have this problem and I'm just a level 3 hoarder or something, but I can't help but think this is a concept that transcends me, and probably transcends stuff. I haven't actually thought about it enough to come to an actual conclusion, and now I don't even know where I was going with all of this, so I'm just going to end this here and post it despite its absolute uselessness. I don't want all that typing I've just done to purposeless, though, even though the content is little more than pointless ramblings on a half topic.

I think I'm going to call this to be continued, because there's ideas budding in here that I want to explore further.

No comments:

Post a Comment