Friday, January 4, 2013

Sharing art

So I was just on DeviantArt, because even though I took all my artwork down, I still like seeing the things that other people post, and I was thinking about posting some new artwork, despite having decided that posting my stuff on DA was a total waste of time and effort, since no one there actually gave a damn about my work anyway, but this got me thinking about art making and sharing.

What is it in artists that compels us to share our work? I've seen many different artists of different kinds, and it seems to always be true. Something intrinsic to creation is the desire to share it. You don't put time and effort and skill into something you love doing, only to stash it away and pretend it didn't happen. Musical artists play for other people, visual artists post their work or show other people, performance artists perform for other people. The only ones I can think of that ever try and hide their gifts are writers, and even then, it slips out. Not everything is meant to be shared, but it seems like being a creator of any kind makes it impossible not to share some amount of your work with some people. Art is made to be appreciated.

Anyway, just something I was thinking about today. Or off and on a lot recently.

http://www.journeydancing.com/2012/12/15/creativity-cookie-present-you-to-the-other-yous-in-the-world/

This my aunt's blog, and I think it's a good follow up. It's very similar to some things Rosalinde and I talked about when one of my pieces from my last Drawing class got chosen to go in a couple of art shows.

So, I'm also gonna share this quote, which Kate Wolfe-Jenson has made into a pretty sweet PDF that you should look at.

"There is a vitality, a life force, an energy, a quickening that is translated through you into action, and because there is only one of you in all of time, this expression is unique. And if you block it, it will never exist though any other medium and it will be lost. The world will not have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is, nor how valuable, nor how it compares with other expressions. It is your business to keep it yours clearly and directly, to keep the channel open. You do not even have to believe in yourself or your work. You have to keep yourself open and aware to the urges that motivate you. Keep the channel open. No artist is pleased. [There is] no satisfaction whatever at any time. There is only a queer, divine dissatisfaction, a blessed unrest that keeps us marching and makes us more alive than the others." -Martha Graham

I loved this. I think every day should start with a reminder of this.

I'm also considering sharing some of my artwork here on my blog, but I'm undecided at this point. It's been at the back of my mind for a while, but it also seems about as pointless as sharing it on Facebook or DeviantArt.

Anyway. The end. It wasn't even me hating, so you're welcome for the variety.

No comments:

Post a Comment