Saturday, January 21, 2012

500 Days of Summer and Stuff

You can thank my darling Taryn for this blog, internet. Partly anyway. I've had this topic sitting around in my head and on a sticky note (because I'm clever and started putting them somewhere I wouldn't forget) for a while. A few weeks at least.

So one of the things I got for Christmas from my wonderful siblings was the movie 500 Days of Summer (Becca deserves a prize, because I love it now), and I decided ages ago that I needed to blog about it.



Because here's the thing: That movie is stupidly realistic; it's beautifully cynical, reminding us all just how much utter bull is fed to us in the form of romance and romantic notions, and it's freaking hilarious. It's something a lot of movies neglect. They feed us all these idiotic, idealized stories, which we lap up like mangy, starving kittens at a bowl of whole milk, and then one day you wake up and discover that no relationship you will ever have in your entire life will be anything like any novel you've read or movie you've seen.

There's a reason fiction exists, kids. It's because real life is mundane and disappointing.

That's kind of the basis of the movie, for those of you unfortunate enough to not have seen it (Watch it. Now o.o). It follows Tom Hanson (Joseph Gordon-Levitt <3)  in his obsession with Summer Finn (Zooey Daschanel ^.^), because everyone knows you'll never be happy until you meet "The One."

Something Taryn and I have repeatedly discussed: WE'RE NOT SHOES, GUYS. The purpose of life does not have to be finding your mate and being happily with them forever.

Now let me clarify. I'm all for monogamy, lasting relationships, blah, blah, blah, but I think there's a little more to life than that. I don't know about you people, but I am totally a hat or something. I stand alone as an accessory (though why I'm using that as a comparison, I don't know, because they still form part of an ensemble, and my metaphor kind of starts to crumble at that point), but I can fit with other things.

Anyways!

One of the main plot points of the movie--really the main point--is that Tom is convinced that Summer is The One for him, the only woman on the entire planet who can make him happy and all that crap. And (*Spoilers, kind of*) then she dumps him and gets married. The whole journey, the 500 days in which he's all about Summer, ends up with Tom deciding that there is no such thing about destiny, no soulmates, and it's all coincidence...Maybe.

I dunno about that. What I do know (which is supposedly what I'm supposed to be writing, or so they say), is that relationships kind of suck. At the very least, they're not all that great, people. Learn to stand on your own two feet. I think that you aren't ready to be in a relationship until and unless you're comfortable being single. It's not about being half a unit. It's two wholes coming together.

And while I'm on this thread, Valentine's Day >.<

Things have been getting nauseatingly pink in most stores, and I hate that idiotic holiday so passionately. It's all about money. You guys know that, right? And why do you need a holiday to celebrate latching yourself onto another person anyway? It's about milking you blind consumers for every cent you're willing to waste on cards, candy, jewelry, and whatever other crap you buy.

Yes. It can be just like that. Ain't love grand?

You know how I spent Valentine's Day last year? No, you don't, but I'll tell you anyways. I can't remember. You know why? Because I did nothing special with my boyfriend. We didn't go out, we didn't do some sentimental, useless gift, or whatever else it is that couples do. If he was even in town, we probably didn't hang out at all, or if we did, we probably watched a movie or played videogames.

But we didn't celebrate any temporal milestones either. No months. No anniversary. So perhaps I'm not the best example here. 

Either way, my point stands. 

Also, you people who whine and cry about being single on Valentine's, get over it! That's ridiculous. Get over being single. Because the reason you're single is that there's a lack of people worth dating lying around wherever you are, and you know what? That's ok. Being single is being free from all the gunk that comes with a relationship. Yes, you miss the good stuff too, but poor you. Go cuddle a pillow and eat some icecream. You'll get over it.

Because this is all anyone sees, and regardless of what we say when you get a hug, 
everyone thinks you're pathetic.

And now, farewell, theoretical readers. My next blog is likely going to come fairly soon, because I've been wanting to write it for a while. But I keep forgetting to pick up the book I'm writing on. Now everyone be curious and anticipate my next ramble.

No comments:

Post a Comment